In order to create the most accurate visuals for this project I’ve been doing a lot of research into the clothes, hair, advertising and general aesthetics of the 1930’s. I’ve created a pinterest board to gather relevant reference images for my team and I’ve been teaching myself how to use Marvelous Designer.
This has been particularly useful as you can create specific clothing patterns in Marvelous Designer, because of this I can research particular dress and suit patterns from the 1930’s and recreate them for use with our 3D characters. We used Make Human to create the bases for our characters in this animation as we realised with such an asset heavy project that we would need to create extra time for ourselves by reducing the amount of basic modeling we would have to do on our minor characters who are mostly only seen in shadow or in 3/4 views.
Using these two sites has really helped to stream line our work flow as it means we can concentrate more fully on other areas to develop them properly. In particular this week we are concentrating on creating our tube station so I’ve been gathering posters and graffiti which would have been popular or seen a lot during the 1930’s. We’ve been overlaying these on the station walls and building textures over them so they show the wear and tear you would expect from a tube station.
As the train is where the character will spend most of their time and therefore is the area the viewer will see the most of, we would really like the scene to be as accurate as possible. The basic designs of the tubes have not truly changed much in the last 100 years and I think we shouldn’t edit the classic design, keeping the seats parallel and facing each other should be really important to scene especially as we want the train to emulate a trench. Keeping the seats parallel under the windows to the carriage should look similar to where the benches and ledges of the trenches would have been positioned.
The underground electricity is also something I think we could use visually to help with our transitions, as the lights would have tended to flicker with the movement of the train and also sway a little as they were rarely inset to the roof or ceiling of the tubes of the time. I think that we can match some of our blink transitions and jump cuts with the flickering of the lights to better immerse the viewer in the scene.